Plastic plating is commonly used in many industries for the purposes of corrosion and wear protection, increasing surface hardness, promoting electrical conductivity, and improving the appearance of a part or component. Plastic plating needs to be electrically conductive first, namely activation and electroless plating, so that a layer of metal film is firmly attached to the surface. After that, it is no different from metal plating. In the plastic plating process, we offer several common plastic plating additives. For example, activation agent, degreasing agent, wetting agent, neutralizing & reducing additive, etc. These additives play an important role in the plastic plating process, which mainly stems from the fact that they help to improve the properties of the plating.
Advantages of plastic plating
With the help of additives, plastic plating offers many advantages. The main advantages are as follows.
- Plastic plating enhances the appearance of the material and generates the impression of increased quality.
- Plastic plating protects the substrate from the effects of corrosion and resists chemicals that could potentially damage the plastic.
- Plastic plating can increase the strength and wear resistance of the substrate.
- Plastic plating can also give a non-conductive plastic surface the ability to conduct electricity, a property that is invaluable to the manufacturers of electronic parts and components used in automobiles, aircraft and a multitude of other products.
Applications of plastic plating
With the aid of additives, plastic plating technology has been useful in many fields. The main applications are as follows.
- Automotive: The automotive industry is the predominant user of plastic on plating technology. They occupy around 80% of the market share of electroplate usage. This is mainly due to the fact that plastic parts make up a certain percentage of the vehicle's interior and exterior components. In addition to the lighter weight, plastic parts provide additional design flexibility. The ability to mold and bend plastic into just about any shape gives engineers a wider range of options to develop vehicle styles.
- Electronics: Electrical applications represent only a small portion of the market for plating on plastics. However, the plastic plating process plays an important role in the manufacturing process of many electrical and electronic products. In terms of decorative applications, nickel and nickel-chromium plating is used to enhance the appearance of the plastic trim on computers and mobile phones, as well as the various control knobs, switched and buttons on a wide range of home electronics and electrical appliances. In terms of functionality, plating is used to make non-conductive plastic surfaces electrically conductive.
- Plumbing: Plastic plumbing fixtures are now regularly used within the industry due to cost savings over varying metal options. In addition, plated plastic plumbing products provide additional design possibilities and greater flexibility when compared to brass and offer hygienic benefits.
Alfa Chemistry supplies plastic plating additives to companies producing electroplating solutions. Depending on your different needs, you can choose from the following plastic plating additives.
1. Very low palladium concentration for plastic metallization.
2. Longer life than conventional activation agents, thus saves costs.
1. Special for alkaline plastic plating.
2. Perfect degreasing effect.
3. Perfect for ABS, PC/ABS, PC, Nylon etc.
1. Focus on improving poor wetting power.
2. Used in plastic parts after degreasing.
3. Form a fully water-based film.
4. Avoid non-uniform roughing.
5. Enhance binding force of metal layer and substrate itself.
Neutralizing & Reducing Additive
1. Suitable for neutralize acid oxide on plastics surface.
1. One kind of activation additive.
2. Special for non-metal, ABS, PC, PC/ABS, PP, Nylon etc.
3. Form a uniform layer.
4. Lower consumptions.
5. Lower acid.
6. Good stability.
7. Used in chemical Nickel/Copper deposition.
Plastic Plating Chemical
1. Good stability of plating solution and long service life.
2. The speed of depositing nickel is very fast.
As a supplier of electroplating chemicals, Alfa Chemistry has always shown great interest in plastic plating. Alfa Chemistry is committed to providing a wide range of plastic plating additives. If you do not find what you need, please contact us. We also offer product customization according to customer's detailed requirements.